Colonel Oscar Kalpaks’ Family Memorial ''Liepsalas''
|Address:||"Liepsalas", Ošupes pagasts, Madonas novads, LV - 4833|
|Phone:|| +371 26331722, 26400999 (gide Edīte Zaube)|
|Working hours:||after the application!|
The Memorial to the first Latvian national army commander, Colonel O. Kalpaks (1882 - 1919).
* tour guide,
* camp organization
* resting place.
Colonel Oscar Kalpaks’ Family Memorial Liepsalas is being established since1997 after his niece’s Arija Kalpaks–Grundmanis’ (1922 - 2006) ideas and finances. The following objects and environmental elements have been installed in the Memorial:
* Svētklētiņa or Holy Granery- gratitude to God, the spiritual bread of the Holy Scripture.
* Flagpoles, Auseklīša stars in the center based on the words: God, Latvia, Peasant, Soldier.
* Prayer Stone for spiritual force - it helps everybody who prays and believes. Dictum for joy, love, hope - reflection paths.
* Family oak-tree with three testimonies in stone for eternal fighters in the cottage place.
* Sculpture. Three lifelong friends - a young man, his fiddle and the stone.
* The building (on the fundamentals of the former barn) – a recently built house.
* The museum – the history of the freedom fights and the Latvian 22 year of independence (1918 - 1940) in audio and video performance.
* Stone marking of the place of former horse stables and cart-house.
* Bath-house and the well for health and refreshment. Romantic staying overnight in the hay sheds.
* Root chambers, the firewood shed and a planted earthwork recalls the former times.
* Cereal and threshing barn is now a gathering and dancing area with a stage, the oven – the hearth place for public events, culture, entertainment, traditions, for inspiring the patriotism for all generations.
* Family flower garden – for daily beauty.
* Among the ancient oak trees – a group of stone mushrooms.
* Sculpture Garden - God, Latvia, Peasants, Soldiers – a donation of artists.
* Memorial gate in stone and iron formation, with the slogan "For God and Homelands Love” is a dedication toLatvian youth.
* Parking area.
* Birch groves and two ponds - as it was at Latvian flourishing times. The groves were planted in 1936 by the pupils of Oskars Kalpaks Meirāni Primary School.
* An oak circle and a lime circle are connected by the path of Unity that symbolizes Security, Work and Friendship. The nearly 300-year-old farmyard of Liepaslas is not restored, but a memorial has been created for patriotic education and inspiration. The oak-tree has always been a symbol of farmers and soldiers, the lime-tree was the soul of the family and the guardian of the hearth. The oaks in the circle symbolize sons and the limes – daughters; it is the strong spirit of our ancestors, the self-conscious of Latvians.
* Verities and guidances written in stone.
* The memorial is surrounded by the Creator’s garden that was planted by the school youth and the people of community. The wreath was made by everybody who loves our country Latvia and stands together fighting for Latvia to become spiritually rich, Christian, beautiful and wealthy.
Map: - 1 - , - 2 -